Monday, August 18, 2014

Blog 0: An introduction to the 3D Printing Press

It’s funny; I think I learned about additive manufacturing, or 3D printing, backwards from most people. I first learned about 3D printing in college, when taking a tour of some of our more advanced labs. I discovered that we owned an ExOne binder jet printer, capable of printing stainless steel parts… Yeah… Printing metal… Using technology not much more complex than your standard household printer.

It seemed like magic, watching something grow out of nothing but fine metallic powder.

Credit: Compilation of GIFs by Ryan Whitwam on geek.com
It wasn’t until later that I learned about the quickly growing hobby of 3D printing plastics. I figured that people in industry, especially with the recent explosion of additive manufacturing (AM) in the media, would
know about all sorts of AM. However, to my surprise, a lot of people I’ve talked to at the aerospace company I work at don’t know much beyond the glorified glue gun of hobbyist 3D printers (not knocking extrusion plastic printers, it’s just that there is so much more!). This is especially surprising considering that between Aerospace and Biomedical Engineering, we are one of the most involved industries in AM today!

If people, especially those in a position to make technological change, never think of AM beyond printing plastic knick knacks, society is missing out on a colorful and exciting future of manufacturing, from customized engineering plastic tooling to intricate metallic product design. That’s why I’ve started this blog; to share information and modern advancements in AM, hopefully inspiring others to think about the products around them or maybe even the designs they work see within their industry.

Check back here for regular blog entries on all things related to AM or take a look at other interesting articles I like by clicking my AM Flipboard magazine in the sidebar. I’m also all about discussion, so if there is a topic you’re interested in, feel free to send a message to the 3DPP in survey box in the side bar!

2 comments:

  1. Nice!Amuse - One of the great service in the Digital Manufacturing field and its providing a top quality of 3D printing services and injection moulding services in chennai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello
    I read your article. Thanks for conveying such attractive, and I hope you will share some more info about On Demand 3D printing services India. You wrote very well, I like your blog and the details provided by you. I appreciate your work.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete